How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806 – 1861)
Sonnets from the Portuguese
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.
- William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616), A Midsummer Night’s Dream
“Baby, You’re the Only Dream I’ve Ever Had That’s Come True.”
- Robert Duvall (1931 – ), Song title
Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.
– William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616), Hamlet
Why wait any longer for the man you love
When he’s standing right in front of you.
- Bob Dylan (1941 – ), Lay, Lady Lay (song)
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken…
– William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616), Sonnets (No. 116)
We are most alive when we’re in love.
- John Updike (1932 – ), quoted in Singular Encounters
No sooner met but they looked;
No sooner looked but they loved;
No sooner loved but they sighed;
No sooner signed but they asked one another the reason;
No sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy;
And in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs to marriage…
– William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616), in As You Like It
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
- Carl Jung (1875 – 1961)
Love is everything it’s cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.
- Erica Jong (1942 – ), quoted in O Magazine
He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him In !
― Edwin Markham (1852 – 1940)